Wednesday, February 28, 2018

More Companion Way Work and More Glassing


Still working on multiple things at one time.


Companion Way
Once I figured out the width issue on the front piece of the companion way, I temporarily screwed the pieces together to test a dry fit.  I then spent some time working on fitting it better to the cabin deck. I had to sand the front piece and sides to make thinks lay better. I still haven't screwed it to the decking, but will do so soon.

Below I added little blocks of wood and epoxied in place to the side companion way pieces.  I then cut off and sanded flush.



There is also a trim piece that goes on top. ( below top left)  The piece of lumber that was provided with the timber package didn't allow enough to do the angle and provide enough height. I decided to just use the left over piece from cutting the front part. I will deviate some from the manual and use a smaller piece of wood (3/4" vs. 1" ) and I plan on doing a round over on the edges. I will post some more on this once I do it. On the list of tasks todo!
Dry fitted and sides screwed in. Trim piece and plywood is just sitting on top. Trim piece needs to be formed with round-over and all glued together.


Glassing

With the weather being warmer last weekend, I was able to lay down fiberglass on some of the larger areas. 

Below is the starboard side cockpit area. I cut one large piece that wraps over into the footwell.
This took a lot of epoxy! and took about 1.5 hours to do everything.  This was fun climbing in and out of the boat.




Same piece all wetted out with first coating of epoxy.

I also added another layer of fiberglass to the bow area where the tabernacle will be going. I think this is my 3rd layer of glass in this area, since it has been a trouble spot for some.  




Below is a picture of either the 2nd or 3rd coat. I think 3rd. It was starting to get a little cold, so I decided to use the work lights. I think the garage was around mid 50's, so the lights in this area should warm the epoxy enough to cure.


From a fiberglass standpoint, I still have the port side large piece and then the cockpit foot area. The a whole lot of sanding!! 

I will keep plugging at it one task at a time! I wish it would hurry up and get warm. Epoxy and cold do not mix very well. 




2 comments:

  1. Hi Ron. I am following your build with keen interest from here in Oxford in the UK, and learning much from it. I plan to start building my own PocketShip this summer (i.e. English June onwards ...) and I'm drawing on your excellent blog for inspiration! Your boat is looking beautiful and the quality of workmanship is exemplary. Many thanks for all your posts - I look forward to the next update! Steve in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I appreciate the support. It has been a lot of fun and I am sure you will enjoy building it as well. I may have taken on more than expected with this being my first build, but the manual and other support sites have helped me a lot. Keep me posted on your own build once you start and if I can help answer anything, just let me know.

      Delete