Sunday, February 2, 2020

More Hardware and Tabernacle

The tabernacle has probably been taking me more time than is should, but I guess it hasn't been up to par for me. I want to have my tabernacle to be removable, so I needed to add more bolts. I decided on 6 bolts to secure it, so I first started out with the drill/fill/drill method.

Below shows the holes already drilled and then filled with thickened epoxy.


Drill/Fill curing with thickened epoxy. 

After the epoxy cured, I drilled the holes and was ready to line up the tabernacle to drill the holes into the cabin. I taped off the cabin wall, as to not damage the paint and measured a few times to make sure things were centered. I inserted the bowsprit also to make sure it fit in the correct position. Once I was satisfied, I drilled the first hole and then inserted a bolt and tightened it so that the piece would not move. I then drilled the remained 5 holes.

I have since coated the holes with epoxy to protect them and will do multiple coats. I also counter sunk the top 4 holes so that they will not interfere with the mast. The other 2 holes are below the bowsprit, so they don't need to have it done.




I think I am going to paint the tabernacle. Originally I was going to leave it natural, but I have had to touch it up too much for it to look good.

Companion Way Drop Boards
To hold the top drop board from falling down, there is a piece of wood that is attached to the bottom.
I took a piece that I had and first thought I would just use a router and bevel the edge. The result didn't take enough wood off, so I took to the good old hand plane. This made quick work and took off the necessary wood quickly.



Drop Board wooden cleat after hand planing the edges.

I coated the piece today and will have to apply another coat before varnish


Motor Mount
I decided to go with a Torqeedo Battery Motor to start. It is a long shaft 3 hp equivalent. I bought an adjustable motor mount from West Marine. Today I spent a long time determining where I would mount it. I decided on the port side, since I am right handed and will probably sit there a lot especially when using the motor. My son was over today, so he helped me hold it in place and test various positions. I installed the rudder and tiller and tied if on so it was pulled all the way over to the port side.  I then drilled the holes and coated them with the first coat of epoxy. 

I need to get some better hardware to mount it will probably get a backing plate. 

Dry run of the motor mount with motor. 

I am coming along with everything. The hardware installs are taking a lot longer than you would expect and I want the finishing touches to look good. I also will probably be ordering my Trailex Trailer from CLCBoats in a week or so! She will definitely be in the water this year!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment