Sunday, April 24, 2016

First Time Fiberglassing

This past two days, I attempted to do my first fiberglassing. This is step 1 in the 1st chapter, so I have a ways to go. In looking at all the different blogs, I see a lot of people using portable tables to do a lot of the work. I picked up a plastic 8 ft table this past week. I used it to lay out the 2 different centerboard panels. I then rolled out the fiber glass and cut two pieces. The fiber looked like it laid down ok and smooth, but after I finished wetting it out, there looks to be a line across each piece. There seems to be a small ridge in this area. I think it will get better after I put the 2 additional coats on each pieces. The only thing I can think of is that I folded each piece when I was getting things out.

Overall, I think I did a good job. I applied the epoxy to each of the centerboards and wetting them out. I first poured some on the fiberglass and tried to use a plastic spreader, but switched to a roller. The spreader seem to pull and move around the fiber too much. I found the roller a lot easier to use and I think will give me a good even coating.

Below is the fiber laid out prior to wetting out.


This is after the first coat.


I let the first coat dry overnight and applied a 2nd coat the next day. I plan on doing the 3rd quote tomorrow night after work.


No comments:

Post a Comment