Sunday, June 10, 2018

Cutting Dorade Vents and Hatch Openings

I decided to do some of the smaller tasks this past week.  I started off with the Dorade Vents. I purchased the hardware kit from CLC, so I am use the Dorade Vents and hatches that they provided.

For the dorade vents, I tried to establish a center method of measuring, so I can have both sides looking the same.  Below is the port dorade box hole after I drilled it. I used a 3" hole saw bit.  I drilled a pilot hole for the center and then used the hole saw bit. Not very difficult, just takes a while to find the center and you are alway scared about drilling into your boat.


The starboard dorade vent dry fitted. It will be install once the hull is painted. 



Port side hole drilled and vent dry fitted. 




I made a pattern out of cardboard for the hatches. I then measured/traced on both sides and cut them out with a saber saw. I then had to use a rasp and hand saw to get them to the final shape. I plan on coating the edges of these holes and the dorade holes with epoxy for water proofing.



In preparation for the plywood flange around the companion way opening, per the manual I used a rasp to angle the edge, so that water will not stand there. I already have the flange ready. I will probably glue that this week. 




I rough cut the rub rails. I still need to fill the screw holes with epoxy and need to do some sanding and the final shaping. Still a lot to do on them.



I think the rails turned out pretty good. At least they are not bumpy!! 😀 


Next up: I have been putting off sanding, but I know I will need to get the top part of the hull sanded. I will be working on that some this week. I am also planning on flipping the hull and figuring out what my plans for that will be and who I can get to help. 


No comments:

Post a Comment