Monday, July 3, 2017

Bow and Inside Cabin Fillets and Tape

Well I have been neglecting my boat building again! We went on a trip to Manteo NC and had a good time. This past Saturday was the first day I was able to work on things.

I started by sanding the cockpit fillets lightly, so I could finish up applying the fiberglass tape on the upper side panels seam. It was about 80 degrees in the garage and the epoxy started to heat up very quickly. In a couple spots the epoxy started to harden before the tape was wetted out. I may have to sand those areas and reapply new tape. I guess it was a warning to me to remember the heat and mix smaller batches of epoxy. 

 Below is a picture of the bow area and fillets. The fillets could probably stand to be a little larger, but there are fillets above and below and the whole area will be fiberglassed. I may put some tape on the side areas where there is no support except the fillets below and above.  The piece of blue tape is on to remind me to drill drain holes. There are a few other locations that need drain holes. I will be better off doing them during the build, rather than at the end of the manual when they are mentioned.


I still need to install the "sheer clamps" before fiberglassing the bow area. The "sheer clamps" will allow for a surface to glue the decking to.


Below is a picture of the fiberglass tape on the starboard side. I completed all the taping now and just need to apply 2 more coats to fill the weave.


Below the inside of the cabin has been filleted.  I applied tape to both sides yesterday morning and will be filling the weave on ALL the tape joints during my next working session.


Below, I am starting to dry fit and find the location for seat back stringers. I plan on cutting some of the stringers during the next few sessions.



No comments:

Post a Comment