Thursday, July 20, 2017

Bow Foredeck Fiberglass and Seatback Stringers!

I sanded the bow area fillets and made everything smooth prior to laying down the fiberglass in the bow area. It has been in the 90s to 100 degrees, which is NOT good epoxy working conditions, but I have managed. I can't remember which member of the forum that suggested it, but I have been using a container of ice to help keep the epoxy cool to delay the hardening. It has worked! I cut the fiberglass to fit and then over multiple nights put the 3 coats of epoxy to fill out the weave.

Below is the fiberglass cut to fit. You can see the different cuts, so that it will lay properly. I used a combination of brush, roller and yellow plastic epoxy spreader. The more fiberglassing I am doing I am finding that the yellow epoxy spreader works very good for the initial 1st coat. The roller seems to stick/pull on the glass. However the roller is definitely the way to go on coats 2 and 3, using the brush to get the corners.



While doing the multiple coats, I have also been working on the blocking on the upper transom. This was a fussy to say the least task. I will have to admit, that trying to rush a part of this type after work, just to get it done is not the right approach. I wasted a few blocks by not properly thinking it through. When I had more time, my work definitely improves. I have learned this to some extent. I try to save the complex cuts/tasks to the weekends and the simple tasks of just applying a coat of epoxy to fill in the weave to during the week after work. Boat building is not a hurry up and get it done process!


Below is  a few pictures of the upper transom blocking. You can see the different angles that I had to cut. I will also note that the manual show installing the stringers first, but if you did that you would have stringers epoxied to the upper panels and would have to remove it. Another note to read ahead in the manual to plan the next step. I used some temporary drywall screws to hold in place while the epoxy cured.

Starboard blocking.


Port side blocking


Below is the upper stringers on the outside edge. These went on pretty easy with no fuss. 


Now the manual talks about being very careful as you put on the upper inside stringers. Now I try to be careful, but trying to drill a pilot hole in the middle of a 1/4 inch thick piece of wood seems pretty complex / stressing to me.  So looking a the other blogs, specifically Jeff''s "Old Soul" , he installed small stringers on the seatback supports. This will allow more area to drill pilot holes to hold the seatback piece in place.  Below you can see where I did this on the Starboard side. I plan on doing this on the port side as well. 




Close up of the stringers not specified in the manual, but will make things easier.  Also be sure to coat all the edges with epoxy prior to installing.


This weekend in Virginia is calling for a high of 100, 100 and 96. I plan on working on the boat and will get as much done as possible with the heat!  At least I will loose some weight in the sweatbox boat building shop!!! 😀  , but still enjoying working on the boat!!  Working on the boat in the extreme heat beats even the best day at the day job!!!!!!!!!


2 comments:

  1. Looking Great Ron! I continue to follow your progress daily. Keep at it...
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jeff. I continue to reference your pictures too and use your good ideas! I hope there are no royalties i need to pay!

    ReplyDelete