Monday, August 28, 2017

More Seatback work and Flotation


I have been thinking about the storage compartments a lot. I have come to the conclusion that I do want to paint the insides of them before installing the seatbacks. Looking at other PocketShips, some do and some don't. From what I have read epoxy does not hold up with UV light, so I think these do need to be painted.

I also was looking at how water would possibly pool inside them and the need to install drain holes. The manual calls for drain holes along the front, which I will be installing. Looking at the compartment on the inside bottom, there are fillets on 3 sides. Looking at the compartment, both sides and up against the side panels/outside of hull. It looked to me that that the 4th side facing the seatbacks/cockpit was a good place for water to pool and if I didn't get the bottom stringer attached properly, water could find its way in. I decided to put a fillet up against the bottom stringer. This will allow for fillets all the way around on the bottom and hopefully prevent any water damage.

Next up I decided to cut the flotation that goes on inside the seatbacks. I definitely underestimated the time it would take. Not that the task was difficult, but it was a lot of cutting to do. I decided to use this pink insulation from Home Depot. I think total for the boat, I used 2.5  (4 by 8 sheets). I bought Qty 2 - 1" thick and 1 - 2" inch thick. I had some of the plain white that you get in shipping boxes, but that stuff makes a huge mess. The pink insulation makes very little. I used a fine tooth hand saw and cut the pieces to fit. It took a good part of  4 hours to cut all the pieces and wedge them in there. Once I get the seatbacks installed, I plan to wedge some more, so there is no movement. I may get some of that spray-in foam to fill up the empty space.

Port side flotation


Starboard side flotation



No comments:

Post a Comment