Thursday, August 10, 2017

Seatback Blocking and Doing some Sailing

I don't have much to update this time. We went to a Bed and Breakfast last weekend and did some site seeing and sailed some as well. Happy wife = Happy Boat Shop!

Below is my Hobie Kayak I bought back in 2015 and really prompted me to get into sailing and to build PocketShip. I still have fun sailing it, but can't wait until getting out on the PocketShip.
We went on the Chickahominy River in Virginia right at the James River. Nice sail except for the 50 plus fishing boats in a tournament that kept on flying by me. I wonder when they actually fish. All I see them doing is running up and down the river.

Below is a picture of my Hobie Tandem Island.




I did manage to cut and fit all the blocking and put multiple coats on the wood before installing them.
I installed the port side one night after work and then the starboard side. I'm glad I tested them before applying thickened epoxy with cabosil, because I wrote port and starboard on the wrong ones.  Oops!
So just a reminder to double check things before glueing up!


This is the starboard side all glued in. I used a paper template to cut the notch at the bow block, so that it would cover all the space. I didn't want to install a cleat into a portion that didn't have the blocking below. I cut is out with my bandsaw.




Port side all glued up and clamped.  I also used temporary screws to hold in place. I again cut out the notch on the bow block so it fit properly.



I have more conflicts coming up this weekend with helping my son move, so again time will be limited. I plan on taking my belt sander to the top of the blocking to level out, take a router to the seatback boards and install the floatation. If everything goes well, I may install the seatbacks!


No comments:

Post a Comment