Monday, October 23, 2017

Installing Seatbacks!

Well I still seem to be working all the time at my day job and going out of town on trips, so the boat building time has taken a hit. I did get some time this past week and weekend to install the seatbacks.

I had a brad gun that I have never used and bought as a kit many years back. I decided to order some stainless steal brads and use them to hold the seatbacks in place.  I looked at the local big box stores, but they didn't seem to carry any stainless steal brads. There are probably other places you can get them, but I purchased them from Danow Fastening. I bought 2 sizes, but wound up using the 3/4" inch. I would shoot them in at an angle, since they will go through both the seatbacks and framing. This is only an issue in the locker area. You don't want them going through and cutting your hand at a later date. I was very happy with the results and it was a heck of a lot easier than using temporary screws. The brads will be left in.


There have been a lot of little projects before installing the seatbacks that I have done in previous posts (gallows pole base and painting), but I was finally ready to install. I mixed up a big pastry bag of thickened epoxy and spread it out on all the seatback framing. I then installed the seatbacks and used temporary clamps to hold it in place. It took no longer than a minute to shoot a bunch of brads into them to hold down.

Below are a few pictures.


Also note the hole already drilled, coated in epoxy for the gallows pole. I can install the cap and cut out with a router at a later date.


If you look closely at the picture below you will see a little round hole in the bottom next to the transom. This is where I pre-drilled a drain hole for water to drain from the locker. I left the framing short, so it is a natural place for water to drain through.  Thanks to Jeff "Old Soul" for another one of his ideas! 


Next up will be installing the roof deck. I have already finished planning the cleats and will do a quick check this week before installing the deck. I also need to drill the drain holes in the dorade boxes and cut the holes in bulkhead 2 that go into the dorade boxes. I bought inspection plates last week. 


4 comments:

  1. Thanks Jeff. I hope you don't mind me keep stealing some of your ideas! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron,
    Take a look at the Florida 120 sail group in Facebook. Last year my 20 year old daughter and I sailed Old Soul on this adventure and had a blast. Beautiful area to sail and safe inside the barrier islands. You should bring your boat when you finish which realistically would probably be for the May 2019 trip. The Pocketship really shines and shows it's power and grace along side the other boats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to do something like that. I will see if I can plan something.

    ReplyDelete