Monday, November 27, 2017

Sanding and Getting ready for Topside Fiberglassing

Over the pasts couple weeks, I have been cleaning up the edges on the seat back and roofing decks.
I used a router to cut off some of the edges, but was not happy with it. As you know you can make quick mistakes with power tools, so I started to use my hand tools. I did make one mistake, but I was able to stop before it did too much damage. I may need to build it up a little with some fairing compound I bought.  Using hand tools is slower and I spent a few more hours here and there working on things, but you have all the control.

My tools of preference were the Japanese saw, rasp, block plane and orbital sander.  You still need to be careful, but you won't do too much damage. Below is picture of me cutting off the extra edges.




For the most part, I have a rough edge all the way around the seatback decks and the roof decks. After using the saw, rasp and plane, I used the orbital sander with 60 grit. I plan on using a hand sanding block with 120 for the final touch ups and rounding over the edges. 

Below are some pictures. 

Notice I cut out the support, so I can actually walk into the cabin. I will have to admit. I sat in there and drank a beer admiring the boat. Actually it was more like noticing more things I need to touch up! :-) 


I also did the fillets in the deck area. I think I have them down now somewhat.  Too bad, I am almost finished with fillets though! Maybe on the next boat! 

You can see where I painted the lockers before installing the setbacks.



Next up is to finish all the sanding this week in preparation for laying out fiberglass. It is starting to get cold, so I hope I can get this done. I can keep the garage at about 60 degrees, so I should be ok for another month until January when it gets really cold.

I also need to do the trim on the transom. I didn't think I had the lumber, but I found it last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment