Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Still Cold, but working on Rudder

Still very cold, so it is putting a damper on my boat building. Last Friday, I did have a good day and it actually got up to 70. I had the garage door open and was able to put the 3rd coat over the cabin decking. Before I did that I did a rough sanding using 120 grit.  Any large epoxy jobs will definitely need to wait until warmer weather.

After the 3rd coat, I started to work on the rudder. I figured this was some work I can do in the cold and I can get all the parts cut out and ready to put together. Hopefully this coming weekend I can epoxy.

With the rudder, there is a taper going from front to back or bow to stern. This means you have to taper 3 different pieces of wood. The kit comes with the patterns, so you can easily get the rough pieces cut. The others I had to do some thinking and decided to use my bandsaw to cut them out.

So with the picture below, the taper is going from right to left. I just have everything clamped together waiting to be epoxied.




Below, I cut both of these pieces on the bandsaw and fined tuned them with a block plane.
The piece to the left is the long vertical piece and needs to taper down to 1/4 inch,
The one on the right is the bottom of the rudder and tapers from the 3/4 inch to 1/4 inch at the rear.


 Below is the horizontal piece. I just put the template on it and cut it out with the bandsaw.


The large triangle piece was a little more difficult. The manual shows using a grinder to shape the piece, but I don't have one. I decided to use my rasp to take the majority of the wood off after I marked it. I then used my orbital sander with 60 grit to do the finishing sanding. I think it took me all of about 20-30 minutes.


The dry fit looks like everything went together very well. I will just need to do a little bit of sanding once I get things glued down.  I also need to put another coat of 2 on the large plywood pieces.


No comments:

Post a Comment