Friday, January 5, 2018

Too Cold!

Old man winter has definitely put a halt to boat building. It has been basically below freezing for the last two weeks. I am unable to keep the garage at a comfortable temperature to work. It is supposed to warm up into the 40's next week and I can usually with a small heater raise it to the mid 50s to be able to work.

Before it got bitter cold, I was able to do some work. I installed the backer board for the tabernacle. I applied a large helping of thickened epoxy with cabosil. Then I used temporary screws to hold it in place from the inside and outside. I then rigged up a work light to shine on it so it would cure.



The method of a work light works pretty good as long as it is not too cold. The highs have been in the 20's with lows in single digits. I am ready to move to Florida!, but I think a lot of the country has been dealing with this cold. 

Below is a picture of coat number 2 of epoxy. I still need to get the 3rd coat on, but it will need to warm up some. Before applying the 2nd coat, I used 120 grit to do a light sanding to rough up things. 



I rigged up a 2x4 clamped to my work cart to hold the lights. 

I think with this cold, I may need to start working on some bench projects like the rudder and companion way. I can get things all cut out and epoxied using the work light method. I am afraid to do too much large scale fiberglassing until it warms up some. I have plenty to do, but it definitely needs to get a little warmer! 



No comments:

Post a Comment