Monday, March 26, 2018

Vacation and New Festool!

I was on vacation all of last week, so needless to say there was no boat building being done.
We went to Charleston South Carolina for the week. While visiting one of the plantations there, I discovered a 1800's boat that was used and thought I would share.  I found it very interesting that it was actually made from 2 pieces or log half's. The boat was about 27 feet long and about 4-5 ft. wide. That had to be some tree! 







New Festool and Companion Way

When I got back I visited the local Woodcraft store in Richmond and decided to buy a Festool vac and sander. While there I talked with the store owner Ed Sontag and he helped me with the order. Very nice customer service and I recommend the place. I plan on going back to get various tools and to purchase the lumber for the boom gallows and rudder handle in a few weeks. Its like a toy store, so I need to be careful! :-)

Yesterday I got the Festool RO 90 DX out and used it to sand the companion way hood. I am very satisfied with it. The model is one of the smaller ones, but it sure does have a lot of power. When on the highest speed, you definitely need to hold on with two hands. Turning the speed down, it was easily managed. I know these things are expensive, but with the amount of sanding that I still have to do I think this will be a definite time saver. I was also happy with the lack of dust that I normally have with my regular shop vac and sander. The Midi vac is also a lot quieter, which will make the wife happy! 

Below is the companion way hood and slide. I sanded everything down and then filled all the screw holes with epoxy. Once they cure, I will sand again and then apply the fiberglass.



Not trying to sell anyone anything, but just showing you what I am using. 

RO 90 sander

Midi Vac


4 comments:

  1. Great choice of sanding equipment! I purchased the Festool Rotex 90 and the Mini dust extractor a couple of years ago when refurbishing my house and in anticipation of building PocketShip. Dust free and very effective sanding, and a massive productivity gain over less powerful machines or hand sanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely a fan now. After using a couple times, I don't know how I did without it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ron
    Hey, like it! Why not the Festool RO125? Maybe to powerful....? Does the Midi Vac have a HEPA filter? Cost has kept me away (daughter in out of state private college, ugh). Boat is looking great! Thanks for your comments on the PS Forum about my concern over installing a bilge pump. Getting' warm and I'm pumped to get back in the workshop. Getting ready to revarnish our Skerry. Lemme know if your ever in Baltimore; I'm just north.
    Jimmy Vitale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jimmy,
      Yes, the Midi VAC has a hepa filter. I agree on the cost and definitely understand the college thing. I finally got my son out of the house a couple years ago. For the RO125, I looked at that, but it was definitely too heavy for me. I actually got the ETC 125 with is more of a palm sander, so I would have a 5" in sander for the larger sections. I haven't used it, since I have been working on the companion way hood.
      Will do on the visit north. We will have to setup a group PocketShip sail once we get them built.
      Ron

      Delete