Thursday, April 5, 2018

Will Winter ever end? and Fiberglassing the Companion Way Hood

Well "Old Man Winter" doesn't seem to want to go away, so I am still sticking with the bench projects. I can't wait until I can do the large fiberglassing. I am over 50% done. I just have to do 2/3rds of the cockpit area and transom and then I can start on the rub rails.

Home chores took over last weekend and I was only able to work on the boat for a couple of hours. Had to change the oil in the lawn mower and cut my 3/4 acre lot! :-( And this weekend we are going out of town again, but I have to keep the boss happy! Oh, did I mention they are calling for more snow!

I was able to sand the epoxy filled holes on the companion way hood, but the holes didn't fill up to the top on the slide, so I am going to have to do another fill with epoxy. Something I didn't mention on the screw holes. I originally drilled the holes with a counter sink bit and it was 1/4 inch in diameter. So my original plan was to fill them with wood plugs, but the 1/4 inch wood plug bit I bought created plugs that were too small. I guess I could have used them, but at the last minute I decided to just fill with epoxy.  They seemed too loose. I didn't have time to think too much, because I already had a cup of thickened epoxy mixed.

Below is the fiberglass ready to be filled with epoxy.


Below is the companion way hood all wetted out. I did have a problem on both corners where the drains are going to go. For some reason each side got a bubble under the overlapping glass. I discovered this after the 1st coat and cut it out and sanded. I am trying to decide how to handle applying fiberglass to a quarter size hole. 

One possible solution is to run fiberglass down both entire sides. I have looked on other blogs and don't see where anyone did this. That option will cover the hole where the bubble occurred and also coat the long side pieces all the way down with glass. I find it interesting that I had a bubble on both sides, but the fiberglass laid perfectly over the small trim piece on the top.


Since I have to redo the plugs, I just decided to coat the inside of the slide with epoxy as I was applying the 3 coats to the hood.


No comments:

Post a Comment