Monday, April 16, 2018

Sanding and Fiberglass in Cockpit Area!

I decided to sand some on the areas in the bow and cabin that I have already fiberglassed as well as the cockpit area I planned on fiberglassing this past weekend. Sanding is always a fun task, but I will say the new sander is much nicer and does a quicker job. While sanding I noticed some areas where the epoxy was sort of flaky. I assume it was due to me trying to epoxy in the garage when temperatures were marginal or close to 60. Not a huge deal. I sanded them down and re-applied epoxy over the areas.

I also took some time this past weekend to get my epoxy station back in order. Over the winter, I was using smaller jugs and storing them inside. I think it has warmed up enough, so I have the big 5 and 1 gallon containers back in the garage. I re-primed the pumps so I would get the appropriate amounts.


Slide and Rudder
For the companion slide, I was able to re-apply thickened epoxy over the screw holes and the second application filled them completely. I then had to re-sand everything. The slide is ready for fiberglassing.  I also filled the holes on one side of the rudder and sanded them smooth.


Filling brad nail holes. 

2nd attempt at filling screw holes top and sides.

Below is a picture of the slide sanded and cleaned. I will probably apply the fiberglass later this week. The piece of wood on top is going to be the trim. I have yet to cut it out and fit.




Cockpit Fiberglass

Below is the fiber glass laid out ready to be wetted down with epoxy. As I stated earlier, I sanding the area good and then whipped down to make sure the area was clean. Making the fiberglass lay on the many different angles is a challenge. After some time, I finally got it to where I wanted it or as best as I could get it.

I would estimate that it took me 2-3 hrs. to lay the fiberglass and then mix up enough epoxy. I counted 6 red cups when I was done. I used a plastic spreader on the horizontal parts, but then used a roller to get the vertical as well as a chip brush in the corners.

Fiberglass ready to be wetted out. 


Below are a couple shots of the 1st coat wetted out. I will be applying the 2nd and 3rd coats after work today and tomorrow.



Next up will be the foot area in the cock pit. This is going to be a fun area with the location and angles. Glad it is not that big.  Its coming along slowly but surely!


No comments:

Post a Comment