Friday, August 31, 2018

Fiberglass woes!

I had some problems with fiberglassing the hull. Nothing that I couldn’t fix, but just taking longer.

To start, the roll of fiberglass I have has what I call a run in the roll. I have been able to work with it up until now, but it caused me some pain with a bubble along the entire port side of the hull. I ended up sanding it down and putting a patch on the entire length of the boat.

I also had a lot wrinkles all over. I took my time as I have done previously, but again I had bubbles that needed to be sanded down and patched. I thing I wound up with about 10 places, so I had to do a lot of rework. One good thing, I will have plenty of coats of epoxy on the hull.

It has been very warm in the garage. About 80 degrees during most of my working sessions. I wonder if that had anything to do with it, but at this point it is water under the boat! ha ha!

If you look closely you can see my pencil marks where I needed to patch and the fiberglass patches

I also have been putting extra fiberglass on the bow. I already have 3 and may do more before laying down a layer of dynel clothe I purchased. I need to see how thick it is. It is still in the packing.


Now I get to re-sand the hull. Shouldn’t take that long, since it is pretty smooth.
I also have some places I will need to use some fairing compound on. The finger joint in the above picture has some dips that I can see.






No comments:

Post a Comment