Sunday, August 12, 2018

Progress on Fiberglassing the Hull

I have been working a lot lately including some weekends, so I decided to take a comp day this past Friday to have a 3 day weekend. With this time I was able to finish up the sanding and make a big dent in the hull fiberglassing.  I went back over the entire hull with 120 grit and wiped doing everything. Prior to that this past week, I refilled some of the spots that didn't cure properly and refilled some holes.

Friday I started with one side of the bottom. This takes a full 50' wide piece of fiberglass. The first side I poured epoxy on and spread it with a plastic spreader. I then switched to the roller method, which I thinks works better. I used the roller method on the remaining portions.

Below are a couple of shots before I wetted things out.  This first side took me about 1.5 to 2 hours to mix up a lot of epoxy and spread out.





Saturday I did the other side. Below is the other side of the bottom with the fiberglass laid out before wetting out. I also did coat # 2 on the previous side.


It has been in the lower 90's, so I can take only so much working in the garage in 80 degree temperatures. I got up early this morning and laid out the fiberglass on both the upper side panels. I used blue tape in a couple of areas to hold the fiberglass in place until I could get it wetted out.

Below are both sides before wetting things out.



Here is a picture of the entire boat wetted out, minus the transom. I plan on doing that hopefully this week, maybe as early as tomorrow night after work.



No comments:

Post a Comment