Saturday, February 9, 2019

Boom Gallow and Planer work!

Not a lot of boat building. Been under the weather and my wife broke her wrist, so life has been a little busy with Dr. appointments.

I did manage to spend a little time working on things. I glued up the strips of wood and used about every clamp I  had to clamp things together.  Since it was still cold in the garage, I used work lights for about 36 hours to make sure the epoxy cured. Below are a couple of pictures. I mixed up two large batches of epoxy and coated both sides of the wood on each strip with a cut short chip brush. There was a lot of squirt out, but I wanted to make sure I had things glued properly.





Today I unclamped everything and used my electric hand planer to do a rough clean-up of the finished product. I think it turned out pretty good.

Below is the boom gallow before any clean up. 


Below are the pictures of the boom gallow after I ran the electric hand planer over both sides. I really like my new Dewalt hand planer. It works very good!




Next up I plan on running the boom gallow through my planer to get it down to the final thickness. I think it is 1 1/2 " . I have yet to use it and just this last week bought the Dewalt planer stand for my Rigid planer. It took me a good 2 hours to put that together today and bolt the planer to it. This way I can move it out in the drive way where I can make a big mess!


Next up is to glue the tiller and work on planing things as well as start working on the mast.


No comments:

Post a Comment