Monday, January 21, 2019

Bowsprit, Boom and Boom Gallows work!

The weather was nice yesterday, so I had a chance to do some work outside. With the boat in the garage, I need to work outside with the table saw and some other big tools. I pulled things out in the morning and started to finish up some of the spars.

Bowsprit
I had already cut the rough tapers, but the cuts needed to be cleaned up. I am still learning how to use a hand plane, but honestly not very good at using it. I decided to use my belt sander which did the job! I had 80 grit sand paper on it, so it cleaned up the saw markings from cutting the tapers on the table saw.

 After using the belt sander, I needed to do the chamfer's on the edges. I marked lines from the plans to use my router. The chamfer bit I had is too large for my small router, so I had to take the larger router I have mounted in a table out of the table to use by hand. That took a little while, since I keep in the shed.

Below are few pictures of the chamfer cuts. 




I still need to finish sand the bowsprit, but moved on to other things I needed to do outside. I can finish sand in the garage one day.

Boom
Next up was the boom to cleanup. I bought a new electric hand planer and used a piece of scrap wood practice on a little. On the lowest depth cut, I decided to move ahead with cleaning up the boom. Specifically where I had to glue the pieces together.  Not a good feeling using a power planer on a piece of expensive wood, but everything turned out ok. I ran it on each side for 1 or 2 runs and cleaned up things quickly.
The plan calls for a small taper 15 inches from the end. I used the electric planer to do that quickly. Turned out pretty good.

Below is a picture of that end of the boom.


Boom Gallows
I am planning on putting a boom gallow on my boat and recently purchased some Ash and Mahogony wood to make it and the tiller. Since I had the table saw outside and I decided to cut all the strips.
This was all my table saw good do to cut the wood! I will need to buy another blade.

Below are the strips ready to be glued up.


I had created a jig a few weeks ago to use to glue things together. Below is a picture of the jig with the strips doing a dry test run. 


I will need to wait for some warmer temperatures to glue things together. I can tell the gallow will look good! I like the mix of light and dark wood. It is a nice 22 degrees for the high today!

No comments:

Post a Comment