Thursday, May 23, 2019

Odds and Ends

Mast
I finished up working on the Mast for the time being. I had a couple spots that I wanted to fill with thickened epoxy and actually a small crack that I filled at the bottom of the mast. Hopefully that won't come back and haunt me. After doing that I sanded everything with 120/220 grit and should be ready for 2 coats of epoxy. With limited space in my garage for 16 feet pieces, I decided to wait a while and focus on getting the boat flipped back over.

Inside Finish
I need to finish up the inside and paint/varnish those areas that will be hard to reach. I decided instead of painting everything, I am going to us epoxy/varnish as the finish coat in some areas. Mainly the roof of the cabin and underneath the cockpit deck. I like the look of the unpainted wood. So last weekend I spent a lot of time sanding, filling holes, sanding some more and then putting a couple of coats of epoxy on. I haven't decided about a coat of varnish, but I will probably put a least a couple coats on to make it look good. I will have to see if I can get some pictures.

Rub Rails 
I did some sanding on the rub rails of the previous coats of epoxy, since they looked bad. I guess you would call it orange peel look. I remember coating them in cooler temperatures and I don't think they cured properly causing the wrinkle look. So I sanded down both sides and had to put a couple coats back on due to sanding through the epoxy. I will need to do the final sanding carefully and then put many coats of varnish one.

I will sand off the areas this weekend and hopefully get a couple coats of varnish on with the long weekend.

Varnish
I bought the stoplossbags from CLC and built the little stand for it, only to find out that the kit came with a funnel and I really don't need it. Oh well, it didn't take 20 minutes and I only used scrap wood.  Maybe I will use it as my wine class holder! :-) LOL! actually I may have something here. More to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment