Friday, June 14, 2019

Inside Painting and Varnish Rubrails

In preparation for flipping the boat back over, I have been working on applying clear epoxy and paint to the areas that I will not be able to get too easy once I flip the boat back over. I decided to leave some of the wood natural color, since I like the looks of it.

I applied a couple of coats to the underside of the deck/cockpit seats as well as the back side panel of the cabin.

Below are a few pictures of after the applying of the clear epoxy.  These are taken with the boat upside down, so the areas may be hard to follow.

With this picture, there is an extra piece of wood going across the boat. This was my fix to the gap that was left when I installed the rear cabin wall. 

With the above picture, I had a gap that I needed to fill due to the location of the rear cabin wall and the setback panels. I have noticed on some other builds that there was a gap in length with the seat backs. When I was dry fitting, I adjusted the rear cabin wall to basically fit the length of the seat backs. In doing this the location of the rear wall went back about 1/4" resulting in a gap. The cockpit seat was sticking out into the cabin about 1/4". My fix in the picture was to install a 1/4 " piece of wood all the way across and do a small fillet. I don't think it looks bad. Almost looks like a piece of trim. I am not sure this is an error in the cutting of the wood or an error in me putting things together.




If you look closely at the pictures below, I had to run a small bead or mini fillet to fill in gaps between the panels and stringers.  Having the ceilings clear sort of hides my mistakes vs. painting. I still like the look of the natural wood and I don't think I will need to varnish them, but I may put a coat of varnish on since I am a little more comfortable with applying it now after doing some of the rubrails.

Ceiling of Cabin

Ceiling and support for tabernacle.

Rear Cabin Wall 
Next up will be flipping the boat back over!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment