Saturday, August 3, 2019

Tabernacle, Companionway and Bowsprit


Tabernacle 
A few weeks ago during a hot streak of about 103 degree days I was working in the garage. I was doing other tasks and decided the last thing I would do for the day was to glue up the tabernacle.
Below are a couple pictures of things clamped up.



Since it was so hot I was in some what of a hurry. I noticed the holes didn't look like they were in the right place, but decided the templates couldn't be wrong. I should have stopped, but I went ahead and glued things up. So my mistake. I had the outside boards turned around. The middle piece should have been on the other side. So now my tabernacle has the holes in the wrong place! :-(  


But not a big deal, I have already fixed the bevel so the tabernacle sits correctly and I plan on refilling the holes and then drilling where they should go. Just some wasted time to have to redo things.


Toerails
I cut the toerail angles on my bandsaw. I noted the angle on the plans and adjusted the table on the badsaw and ran them through.




I predrilled the holes. I think I used about 7 and cut little pieces of wood, so screwing it down would not damage the wood. I screwed everything down doing a dry fit and then lathered everything up with some thickened epoxy. I have been using the pre-mixed epoxy Total Boat Thixo from Jamestown distributors. Sort of expensive, but quick and easy.


Since I lathered the epoxy on, I had good squeeze out and used a fillet tool to make a mini fillet along both edges. This will help with any water standing and help with run off.



Companion Way

I also installed the companion way to the top of the cabin. I used epoxy to attach and used a combination of clamps and weights to hold it down while the epoxy cured.  This turned out good.
The portion that slides back and forth works well. Below are a few pictures of the work.




Bowsprit Hole 

As with any hole I have to cut in the boat, I am always nervous. The other night I cut a piece of wood to equal the end of the bowsprit.  I used a 4X4' post and cut it on the band saw. I then took an angle finder and measure the angle of the bow. I then marked that angle on the piece of wood.


I then held the piece up to the bow and marked it on all sides. I then took a couple of my small saws and took my time cutting. I had to use a keyhole saw to get the corners and then had to use a rasp to fine tune the hole so the bowsprit wood fit. I would estimate that I took another 1/8" off, for the bowsprit to fit properly. As the manual said, I could not resist putting the bowsprit in and taking some pictures.



Things are coming together! I am hoping to work on things tomorrow. Probably finish up the sanding, so I can start the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment