Sunday, July 7, 2019

Tabernacle, Sanding, Rub Rail and Other


Tabernacle
I cut out the tabernacle pieces and have covered them with fiberglass. I finished putting the 3 coats on the pieces this afternoon and will be working on putting the pieces together next. For the holes that go in for the mast and bowsprit, I marked and drilled them larger. I filled them in with epoxy and will be drilling out the final holes with my drill press.  I coated the inside parts with fiberglass and will be applying glass to the outside facing. 

Below are a couple pictures. 





Sanding
Next up was sanding the entire top of the boat. I didn't do much sanding before flipping over the first time, so I had my work cut out for me. I have already done a few 3-4 hour sanding sessions. I had to quit, because my back started to hurt, but will get back to it soon. I have plenty of other tasks to do. I have to finish up sanding the bow section and then I need to do the footwell in the cockpit area. I got a pair of bluetooth headphones to listen to music and that has really helped to cure the monotonous task.

Below is a picture of the hull now. I will finish up the above mentioned work and will quickly go over with 120 grit again. I should be ready to primer coat soon.



Rub Rail
I had to sand the top of the rub rail once I turned the boat back over. I used a block plane to take the high stuff off first and then used my sander to get it ready using 80 and then 120 grit. I applied 2 coats of epoxy over the rails over the last couple of days and will wait until later to lightly sand then start to apply varnish.

I also applied a small fillet along the entire length of the rail. I noticed a couple slight cracks where I was unable to get the rails epoxied close to the hull and didn't want any water working its way behind the rails and causing damage. I did the same small fillet underneath when I had the boat flipped over.

Below shows the rails after sanding.


The couple of pictures below show the small fillets. I will need to sand them some.




On the rub rails I also had to fill some small crack between the 3 pieces. Again, I saw some small cracks and didn't want water to get down them. I applied thickened epoxy and then sanded smooth. The picture above shows one of the spots.

Port Holes
I also cut out the port hole openings.  If you look at the pictures above, you will see that. I used my dremel tool with a cutting bit. It has an adapter to make it work like a mini router. Worked pretty good. It's nice to see the final look of the boat coming out.  I am looking at different port holes other than the standard ones, but haven't made up my mind yet.







No comments:

Post a Comment