Sunday, November 4, 2018

Primer and Brightside

With limited time between work and going out of town again,  I have been able to make some progress on painting the hull. I have also had to work around the weather. It has mainly been too rainy which has meant high humidity. Not a good environment to paint.

Primer 1st
I put 2 coats of primer on and sanded after each coat per the manual. I used Interlux PreKote, which I have read some negative comments about, but I had good luck on the interior using it. Interlux also recommends using it and applying 1-2 coats before Brightside. After each coat, I sanded using 220.







While sanding, I noticed a place on the bow, so I used some fairing compound to fill the area. This was applied between the 2 coats of primer. The area was where the dynel clothe was. It was very difficult to get that smooth.


After this cured, I sanded down and coated again with the Interlux PreKote Primer 

I used 1 quart of the gray Primer. 

To help monitor humidity and temperature I bought a monitor at the big box store. Minimum temp for both the Interlux Primer and Brightside is 50 degrees. Humidity should be below 85%.



1st Coat Brightside
I painted one of the primer coats earlier in the week on Wednesday. I had it sanded and ready for the 2nd coat yesterday morning. This morning I sanded the whole boat after the 2nd coat of primer had cured and wiped down and made it ready for the 1st coat of Brightside. I waited a little while to let it warm up before starting. I used the roll and tip method and think it turned out pretty good. I need to read up on what to do between coats as far as sanding and plan on applying at least another 2 coats.

Couple pictures of the Brightside 1st coat finish below.





3 comments:

  1. She is looking very nice indeed! I'm not decided about going for a bright or a painted transom. What were your thoughts on that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided early on that painting the majority of the boat would be less maintenance than varnish. I love the look of varnish on wood, but I want to use it more than making it look good if that makes sense. If you do go with varnish on the transom be careful with cutting the tiller and drain holes. I splintered the drain holes with the bits I used, so that made the final decision for me. They are patched and you won’t see them being painted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds sensible. I will bear that in mind. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete