Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Boot Stripe, Centerboard and Starting on Spars


Well. work is trying to work me to death. Lots of late nights till 2:00 am. troubleshooting things.
I should be used to it working in IT all these years, but the older I get, the more it effects me. But in between all this work, I try to fit an hour or so in. Helps me keep my sanity!  Happy New Year to everyone!


Boot Stripe

One session, I finished up the 2nd coat of the boot stripe. I think it turned out pretty well. My painting skills are still so so, but for my first time rolling and tipping paint job, it looks ok. I still have some areas on the hull I want to put another coat on, but I will wait until I flip it back over to put on another touch up coat on the dark blue. I am sure I will have some nicks with flipping it.

I am using the Interlux Brightside paint. Most of my painting has been in the upper 50's low 60's. The This is within specs, but it does take about 4 hours plus to dry to the touch. Below are a few pictures.





Center Board 

One thing I am glad I did was to drill fill and then drill out the final hole prior to doing any painting. I can't imagine trying to find the center without being able to see the hole. I have enough problems with doing it in the first place. I have had to refill a couple times, because I missed the center. Not sure there is a good trick to this. My solution was to start with a smaller drill bit and gradually work my way out to the final diameter. Once I get close I use a round file to get it as close as possible to still have epoxy and not any wood showing. Below is the center board hole with the stainless steel rod doing a dry fit.


Below is a picture of the rope installed to raise the center board. You can see the filled/drilled out hole.

I also drilled/filled/drilled the hole that comes in from the top. Below is a picture of the epoxy curing. I found a good use of using my camera tripod to get any height I needed.




Installing the centerboard was easier than I thought. I first taped the piece of line to the permanent line to pull it through. I then wrapped a piece of cloth to a hand clamp and clamped it to the centerboard trunk. This would allow me to rest the centerboard on it to installed the rod. The rod slipped right in with a tap and I then applied thickened epoxy to both sides. Below is a picture of the epoxy curing. 




Spars - Bowsprit

Next up I decided to epoxy the two pieces of wood together to make a 2" X 3" piece for the bowsprit. Below is it all clamped up and using work lights to help it cure. 



Work lights helping the epoxy cure. The garage is still in the 50 + degree, so additional heat is still needed. 




Still moving along. I plan on working on the spars over the coming weeks and still need to build my tiller and gallows pole. I need to purchase some lumber and will probably do after work one day next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment