Sunday, January 13, 2019

Working on Spars


I have been working on the spars over the last couple of weeks/weekends.  I don't have enough room in the garage to use the table saw, so I had to wait for good weather. Last weekend, I setup things outside and cut the bowsprit and gaff.

The manual states that it would be safer to do it on a bandsaw, but I decided to do it on my table saw.
I need to get a new blade, because it was all the saw could do to make the cuts. I took it slow and managed to get things cut. Except for the motor having a hard time, I didn’t think it was that difficult.



Next up was the gaff. I used the template and marked it out and used a circular saw to cut things out.
The manual then calls for a 1/2 round over on the all edges. I used my router and made the round-over. After I was finished and put away everything, I realized I used a 3/8. oops. Will need to redo, but it won't take long.



Next up is the boom. Below are a few pictures of the different pieces I needed to glue together to get the required length.  They are presently curing.



I have some cleanup I need to do on all of the spars I have done so far. I need to get my electric hand planer out, but the weather was not cooperating with snow this weekend. Will need to wait for better weather. I also need to try my planer on some scrap wood before I work on my expensive spare pieces. I have yet to use the Dewalt planer I bought for this job. 

I also managed to get some wood from a local supplier for the boom gallows and my rudder. I will be cutting them into strips and epoxying them together. With the 2" thick pieces, I want to get a new blade on my table saw before I cut the pieces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment