Thursday, December 22, 2016

More floor boards, fair curve and lift out sections!


I think I have said this before. It is funny how one paragraph in the manual will take you many sessions to complete. Installing the floor boards is one of them! I finished laying them in the boat with doing rough cuts. It took over 100, drill the hole, drill the countersink and then screw the screw in. I had to drill twice since the cheap countersink set I have was not long enough for the 1 3/4" screw. It took a while.

I did come up with an idea for the 2 outside boards on both the port and starboard side. The issue was that the outermost board did not have anything to screw into. Since I got the CLC timber kit, I only had the timber boards with the kit and they were all cut to 3" in width. I decided to cut the outermost board and screw it to the 2nd board to make 1 single wider board. They are only screwed together and I think I will epoxy them.




Notice countersink holes holding the two boards together. 

Final product. 

Once I got them all in, I used a piece of 3/4 floor trim to mark the fair curve. Pictures below show me using weights and clamps to hold the piece in place, so I could mark it. The process went pretty good.


Overhead view of fair curve marking.


Now that I have them all in place, it is time to remove them. I also need to do the lift out sections on both sides. I am still thinking about other lift out sections both forward and aft. When I was drilling the holes for the floor boards, I wanted them center on the floor supports. I didn't want any risk of the cleats splitting or the floor boards splitting. I decided to add an extra mini-cleat to support the lift out sections. 


Mini cleat to support lift out sections. 

Other mini-cleat. 

Work lights to help epoxy cure. 

Starboard lift out section. 

I have removed all the starboard side floor boards and completed the round-over of each with my router. Having the router on a table has made this job easy.  I have started removing the boards on the port side and will need to make that lift out section and do the round over on all the boards. I will need to sand them all and then apply some danish oil that I purchased.  I need to do some research on temperature limits for applying. There were no instructions on the can. 




No comments:

Post a Comment