Friday, December 2, 2016

Sanding and floor board work. "Frearson Bit Needed"

The bronze screws that came with the CLC hardware kit are different than Philips head screws. I am glad I read that on another blog. They use a special bit called a " Frearson Bit" .  And like most non-professional boat builders, I didn't have one. I found the bits at Jamestown distributors, so I placed a order. They should be here any day.

Since the are being shipped, I am at a standstill on the floorboards, so I started to sand the interior. I have gone over the interior once with 80 grit and plan to start using 120.


1st pass of sanding with 80 grit.

I did make the cuts on the two boards that go up against the centerboard trunk and they turned out ok. Below is the port and starboard floor boards #1.  I marked them in the boat and then used my bandsaw to cut them out. They seem to fit pretty good with about 1/8 of clearance.
As soon as my Frearson bit comes I will start screwing them down. The new cleats I added on bulkhead #8 also turned out good. The floor boards seem to be level.

I will note that there is an error on bulkhead #2 where you put the cleat. If I recall, it is about 1/2 too high and I had to lower it by 1/2".  I read that on another blog and adjusted that when I applied the cleats.



Work and personal life with the holidays have limited me some this past couple weeks. I am going out of town this coming weekend, so not a lot of free time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment