Monday, February 13, 2017

Started Priming the Interior!

Well I finally started to paint the interior. It seems like for ever that I have been sanding on fillets and fiberglass. This is a big milestone for me! I had a rough week this last week at work, so I was able to take a day off on Friday. I took the opportunity to start priming the interior and chilling out working in the garage on the boat all day.

I have sanded, done a little sanding and then sanded some more, but I think it definitely paid off. In applying the primer, I think the final finish is going to look great! Any issues I thought I had will be covered with the high build primer. But actually all the sanding, I don't really think I even needed the high-build primer.  Again, I chose to use Interlux Pre Kote. The manual calls for oil-based house paint, but I really didn't see anything I wanted to use as the big box stores. I also thought it would be good to do some practice with what I plan on painting the exterior with.

If you have been following my blog, you know I have been sanding a lot and it has been a few months. I vacuumed the interior again and then took a rag with some denatured alcohol. I read this on the hints section on the CLC Website. I had previously gone over the entire interior with my hand and sanding pad, but as I wiped over the sections, I found some little bits of epoxy that my rag caught on. I found it weird that I had not discovered them. I think my point is that using a rag will definitely find any little blobs that you may have forgotten. I just took a small piece of sanding paper and rubbed them right off and wiped any dust away.

Another thing I found with the Interlux Pre Kote is the smell. You definitely need to be in a well ventilated area when using this, so keep that in mind. Since the weather was barely above 50 degrees, which is the minimum, I had to run a little heater while I had the window fan going to move some air. Normally I would not have worried about it, but I have a cat that lives in the garage and I don't want to cause her any harm. Long story about the cat, but she is there and I need to be cautious. I did use a respirator. Maybe they have one for cats.

I found the Pre Kote went on very easy. I used a small roller and brush to apply and they were disposable, so I didn't have to worry about much cleanup. I first poured some of the paint into a mixing cup and stirred with and then put it into a small paint pan I purchased.

I applied the Pre Kote on 2 different days.


  • Friday was the main interior and it was low 50's in the garage. I just mixed the Pre Kote and then poured it into the roller pan. I did notice some roller marks after it dried.


  • Sunday I finished up the storage section between bulkheads 1& 2. This time I did the same, but added a 1/2 cap full of Interlux 333 to the paint. It seemed to roll on easier without any marks. There was also a noticeable difference in temperature. It was in the upper 70's.


Moving ahead I think I am going to have to wait to paint on warmer days to get a good finish. Next weekend is calling for 60's and 70's. I also think I will add some of the Interlux 333 to thin the Pre Kote as well. I think this is the reason I didn't see any roller marks.

On Sunday it was so nice, I rolled the boat outside to sand the primer. I used 220 grit on my orbital sander and went over the entire interior. All I need to do now is wipe down again and start with the finish coats. This is the first time I have really used the dolly wheels I had built. I am still on the fence as to whether or not they were worth it to build??

Below are pictures of the prime coat applied.





After the prime coat dried, I sanded the interior with 220 grit with my orbital sander.





On Sunday I applied the Interlux Pre Kote in the bow section between bulkheads 1 and 2.


Different view of the bow section looking through the access holes.



This is the type of roller I am using to apply the Pre Kote Primer.


No comments:

Post a Comment