Monday, February 20, 2017

1st Interior topcoat

Saturday was high in the low 70's, so I decided to paint the 1st top coat in the interior. I am using Interlux Brightside. Due to the fumes, I pulled the boat outside and painted there.

Before I started, I needed to sand the primer in the bow area between 1&2 bulkheads. I also touched up a few spots earlier in the week with thickened epoxy. Some places I sanded too much! I sanded those areas down and then wiped everything down.

Another reason I pulled the boat outside is the wife complaining about the fumes. The Interlux Brightside is definitely strong smelling. I also bought a new full face respirator from Jamestown Distributors. I think it works better with a beard and also has the eye protection. I was using the standard one that CLC Boats sells.

Below is my setup. I used a portable shelter to shield me from the Sun. It was getting a little toasty! I also had some fans running behind me blowing the air out of the garage.




I spent about 4-5 hours pre-sanding, wiping things down and then painting. After I finished, I decided I was going to leave the boat outside to dry and it was better with the smell. They were not calling for any rain (10% chance), but I decided to put a tarp over just in case. It did sprinkle some, but no damage done.



Below are some pictures of the finished work. I still have another coating or two to put on, but I like the way it is turning out. The shine is nice! As info, I have used the following so far.

1 - Quart Interlux Pre-Kote
1 - Quart Interlux Brightside. ( I still have a little left)

I am estimating about another quart or 2 to get a nice finish.




This is only the 2nd time I have pulled the boat out into the driveway. I am very glad that I put the building frame on dollies.  Below is a good shot of the 4 dollies I am using.  This will allow me to push the boat outside to paint.



Yesterday I had to do some other things, but I did go to Home Depot and bought some insulation. I will be posting some pictures of that as I cut it out for the bow area and the area in the the stern.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this interesting and informative article, painting with airless spray gun will be faster and more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! This is my first attempt with using the Interlux paint it was something different for me. I know other builders have used spray guns, but decided to go just with the brush. The paint is very, very thick. You will probably need to thin a lot to get it to work in a spray gun, but I can definitely see where it would be quicker.

      Delete