Thursday, June 9, 2016

Prep work for the lead pour and other!

Glad to be back from vacation and able to work on the boat. This week and a little work before I left, I have been getting ready to epoxy the long panels. I moved everything around in the garage again and purchased another folding table from the big box store. You definitely need to be organized and have some storage for pieces you are working on and ones you have completed.

I also purchased a 5 qt cast iron kettle to melt the lead on Amazon and picked up a fish fryer on sale at BassPro. Looking at burners online, they were more expensive just for a burner. It does pay to shop around. I put together the burner last night, so the only thing I need to do is get more propane and figure out when to do it. It is supposed to be in the mid 90's this weekend, so I may wait until it cools down some. I also go a fire extinguisher, welding gloves and 50 lbs of lead shot just in case. I was able to get a couple 1/2 buckets of wheel weights from my auto repairman. I should have enough for the keel and centerboard. I also started to go through the weights throwing out the non-lead ones. I used an post from Sunmonkey(PockentShip.net Forum) to help me. Shout out to him for the info!


Picture of the new tables getting ready to epoxy the long panels. 


New burner and kettle I picked up to melt the lead. 


Sorting through the lead 

No comments:

Post a Comment