Thursday, June 23, 2016

The Joys of sanding!

I started to sand some of the floor supports and bulkheads over the last couple of days. The sanding is not that bad, but along with the nice humidity of 80-90% I can think of other things I would like to do.  Nothing like sweating all over your work! :-)

From what I have read the wood should be a dull gray and I have been trying to get the bright epoxy spots sanded away.  I think I sanded too much in a couple areas particularly around some of the edges, so I am recoating with some unthickened epoxy again in those areas. Probably not needed, since most of the edges will have fillets and fiber glass overlapping. I am a little confused on the whole step, but I will follow the instructions!! I think the goal is more of getting a coat of epoxy on everything to seal it.  

Below are a couple shots of the sanding I have done so far. I am trying to do about a hour plus a day.


Floor supports sanded. Notice the bright spots along the edges. This is where I think I sanded too much. I went ahead and put another coat on to cover it. 


Aft keel cap. 
bow keel cap.


I used some 1/2 inch thick floor trim I had left over to cap the aft and bow section of the keel. This will seal up everything. It took a while to trim a little off with a plane and then fit it. I used the dry wall screws to be able to grab it and pull out. I will be glueing it with some thicken epoxy. On the front, I will need to chisel out a little of the lead, since it is sitting up a little. 

Headed back out of town this weekend for a couple days, so I will be back at it next week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment