Thursday, March 16, 2017

Centerboard Sheave and Pendant!

Well I do wish it would hurry up and get warmer. It is definitely slowing me down. I am waiting for it to be warmer enough to finish painting the interior and to apply danish oil to the floor boards.

I am doing as much work as possible with the cold temperatures. I finished up a few more of the floor boards making them ready for Danish Oil. I still have all the long boards to sand.



I added a few more coats to the battery tray, cable conduit cover and what I am thinking about using as an Electrical Panel. Still trying to come up with a plan.  I am also deciding whether or not I want to paint them. I like the natural look, but my epoxy coatings were not my best work. I used a brush, since a roller was too large to get into all areas.



I started to work on the Centerboard Sheave and Pendant! Below it shows where I measured and drilled a larger hole and have since filled with epoxy. I used 5/8ths and the actual hole for the bolt will be 3/8th inch.  It is a little unnerving to drill into things! :) 


Below is the first versions of the sheaves. I cut them out and then decided to look at the plans. The plans shows them more in a U shape and I had them more of a square. I had already applied a coat of epoxy to them, but then cut them to more of a U shape and added another coat. A bandsaw works good for this. 

1st version of sheave

Final version of sheave
Last night I epoxied one sheave and filled the whole with epoxy. It is curing now. I will then do the other side side and let that cure. After a few days I will drill the correct size to fit the bolt and install the sheave. 



For the center board pendant, there is somewhat of an error in the manual. Or maybe a better way to say it a possible step left out.  So below is my interpretation  and  what I did. The actual pendant is 5/8 inch in diameter.

Note: I probably should say that I ordered the hardware kit from CLCBoats, so if you are purchasing your hardware separately, this may not work. I would also confirm sizes of the hardware you get before doing any drilling.


  1. Drill 5/8 inch hole all the way through. 
  2. Drill 3/4 inch hole 1/2 inch deep.  ( This will leave room to drill a 5/8 hole for the pendant. 
  3. Fill with epoxy. 
  4. Drill 3/8 inch hole in the epoxy all the way through. 
  5. Drill 5/8 inch hole 1/2 inch deep in the epoxy. 
This will give me filled epoxy around all components. 




Below is where I had drilled the first 2 holes above. I then filled with epoxy last night and it is curing. I used the pastry bag method so I could squirt epoxy up into it. Worked pretty good.

If you zoom in on the hole, you can see the larger 3/4 diameter for the first 1/2 inch deep. Then it goes to 5/8 inch. 

I put tape over the whole to hole the epoxy in. I went thick, but I should have gone thicker.   Once this cures, I will drill the 3/8 inch hole all the way through and then a 5/8 inch hole 1/2 inch deep to fit the pendant into. 

So I am trying to make good use of my time and the above items I wanted to take my time. I think I spent a good 5-6 hours measuring, remeasuring and measuring some more before drilling. Most of this was in the evenings after work.



No comments:

Post a Comment