Sunday, March 26, 2017

2nd Interior Coat, Danish Oil on Floor Boards and Assorted tasks


Last week after work, I was able to do a couple of different assorted tasks. I added the other sheave on the center board. I have both holes filled with thickened epoxy and will need to drill out.





On the centerboard, there is an inspection port that needs to be installed on both sides. This allows for access to push down the centerboard if necessary.  The top part of the inspection port will hit the top cleat, so you need to cut it to fit. Below is where I was cutting one side. I taped up the inspection port, so I would not scratch it. I used my bandsaw to cut it and it worked fine.


Inspection port cut so it will fit. 


I also decided to add an extra coat of epoxy on the cockpit sides on the interior sides. I am not sure if I am going to paint these or just leave them with a clear coat of epoxy. You won't be able to see and they may look better with some natural wood showing.

I did a quick sanding before applying the clear epoxy. 

Here they are drying overnight. It was still cold last week at night, so I used work lights to help them cure. 

This is the bottom of the cockpit. I put one coat on last week and will need to add a couple more. 



It finally warmed up enough to put a second coat on the interior. I may touch up a couple places, but I think I am good. It turned out very nice. I painted it in the garage last Friday night and then rolled the boat outside so it could dry. I covered the whole thing with a large tarp, but they were not calling for any rain and the temperature was in the mid 50's.









Waiting for the weather to get better, I finished sanding all the floor boards earlier in the week. I applied a coat of Danish Oil on some of the pieces today and will be doing the other side some day this week. I will then do the process again to get multiple coats applied. I used one of the cheap chip brushes and it seemed to work good. I just poured some danish oil in a cup and dipped and applied with long strokes.  Below are pictures of the longer pieces drying. I will do the shorted pieces after I get multiple coats on these pieces, since I am limited on work space.


The boards have a nice honey color and will look nice once I install them later. 




No comments:

Post a Comment