Monday, March 6, 2017

Waiting for Spring and odd Tasks!

Well so much for the 60 degree weather this past weekend that they were calling for earlier in the week. It barely made it into the 40's, so conditions for painting were not there. I have to be able to ventilate the garage to be able to paint.

So with the weather not cooperating, I did work on the boat for 4-5 hours on Saturday. Had to do other things around the house on Sunday.  I started off by doing some sanding with 320 grit on the interior paint 1st coat.  I probably should not have used my orbital sander, because I went through some of the paint in areas. Not a big deal, I can easily cover that up with the next coat and they were probably high places that needed to be sanded down anyway. I will probably get some 320 sheets to use by hand instead of using the orbital sander.

Once I completed that I decided to work on sanding the floor boards and working on the battery box tray. I applied some fiber glass to the bottom of the battery tray and got two coats on it Saturday and Sunday. I will get another coat on tonight or tomorrow.

Battery tray and cable conduit cover drying with epoxy applied.
The majority of the time Saturday I spent sanding some of the floor boards. Most of them I used 220 grit, but on the outer most boards from the center, I used 120 and then 220. Remember I epoxied 2 pieces of wood together to make 1 wider piece, since there is really no where to screw them down.


The 2 pieces on the left are the ones I epoxied 2 pieces together. 

They turned out very good. Nice and smooth! As soon as the weather gets warmer, I will apply the danish oil I purchased.  

It would be so nice if I had a nice heated workshop, but I will have to deal with what I have. This coming up weekend is not looking much better for the bigger jobs of painting and applying danish oil. They are calling for snow, but I will keep my fingers crossed. 

If the weather does not cooperate, I have plenty of other small jobs I can do and I might start on the rudder. There are no fumes with using the epoxy and I can use the work lights to keep things warm enough to cure. 



No comments:

Post a Comment