Monday, April 3, 2017

Floorboards almost done!

I think I worked about every night this past week, putting coats of Danish oil on the floor boards. I moved out into my shed, so the fumes would not be bad and I was getting complaints from my wife. I started off using a brush to apply the Danish Oil, but switched to a rag. The rag works a lot better to cover the wood and you don't get any splashes! I would let them dry over night and then used some steel wool to lightly sand. I think they turned out good. I didn't use as much Danish oil, so I will have a lot left over. I purchased a gallon, but could probably done with 1/2. I got it on sale, so oh well.

The manual is right that the finishing of the floor boards is a project in it's self. Below are pictures of the boards drying after multiple sessions. I used some 2X4s covered in plastic. They work pretty good especially when working with epoxy. If you are not careful, you can easily epoxy 2 pieces of wood together. I would coat one side per night and then come back and do the other side until I had 2 coats on each.




Below are the 2 outer most pieces. If you recall, this is where I epoxied two smaller pieces together to make a large one. The outer most piece didn't have any floor supports to screw down to. Since I purchased the timber package, I had two smaller pieces that I epoxied together. You can see the screws on the out edge that I used to hold them together.






I have one more coat to put on these smaller pieces below then I will be able to screw them all down. 
I also need to figure out my electrical path. In the stern, there are no holes drilled yet on the boards and I need to figure out the path for a stern running light and some convenience receptacles.  Not sure if I am coming under the floors or overhead through the seat backs.


No comments:

Post a Comment