Sunday, May 14, 2017

Centerboard Sheave, Inspection Plates, Foam Flotation and Starboard Deck glued down!

I made a lot of progress this past week with the boat. Below is a picture of the top of the centerboard sheave. I have a large 3/8 inch stainless steel bolt and acorn nut on one end holding the sheave in place. The sheave and the bolt came with the hardware kit I bought from CLCBoats. I used the 3m 5200 marine sealant on both sides of the bolt and nut. I had to play with it a little as to not bind the sheave from spinning, but after a couple of times I was able to get it.  If you look closely, you will see tape on the top of the centerboard trunk. The manual instructed you to tape and cut as closely as possible on each side to leave as much glueing surface as possible. This is right before I glued one of of the decking boards down. The tape is to prevent any epoxy from dripping down.



The 3M 5200 marine sealant works very good and I plan to get more of it for various tasks on the boat. The sealant hardens after 24 hours and locked the nut and bolt into place with the sheave. I used the sealant on the inspection plates as well and used 1/2 inch bronze screws to hold it in place. I had to be very careful with the depth in which I drilled the starter holes for the screws, so I would not go all the way through the center board. Again everything worked very good. 


Below are pictures of the inspection plates on the center board. I had to cut the top of each flat so they would fit underneath the stringer shown.  I bought the inspection plates from CLCBoats and they fit perfectly with the thickness of the side centerboards. This way they will not bind or touch the centerboard once it is installed.








There is supposed to be foam flotation under the decking in the stern of the boat. I purchased the Owens Corning foam insulation and cut it to fit under the cockpit flooring. You can see the cardboard pattern below I used to mark the pieces. I used a fine tooth saw to cut the foam. It didn't make too much of a mess.


Below you can see the pieces installed. I taped every 2 pieces together and they fit snuggly under the cockpit. I think it was a total of 7 pieces and they are wedged in between the stingers that you can't see. 



Below shows the 2 stringers going from stern to bow / from bulkhead 8 to 7. They are extra support for the decking boards.


Below is the starboard decking glued down with temporary screws. I cut out a portion of the decking where the hatch covers will go. I wanted to have access to pull the newspaper and tape I used to protect from epoxy drips. I will cut the holes to correct size when I am ready to install the hatch covers. 



No comments:

Post a Comment