Monday, May 1, 2017

Cockpit sides and bottom done!

I have completed right much in the last week or so. I finished applying fiberglass and 3 coats of epoxy to the deck boats. You can definitely tell the difference in the strength of the boards. They give less. If you look closely, you can see the pencil marks where I need to drill holes to hold the deck boards down temporarily when epoxying.  The manual doesn't say anything about sanding these, but if I am going to paint them at a later date, they will need to be sanded. I have also seen other builders painting them prior to installing them. I will have to consider that as well.





I also completed epoxying the cockpit sides and bottom. I then did the fillets in the bottom. It's been a while since I have done any, so they turned out ok. I will need to smooth them out by sanding. I used the denatured alcohol on the glove trick, but it looks like I made them lumpy in a couple of places. Nothing major, just some additional sanding! :-(

Also notice that I covered the interior paint and floor boards with newspaper to protect them.


Cockpit sides dry fit to make sure everything lined up. 

Epoxying them up. I used some clamps to hold in place while I drilled and installed the screws. 

Notice the temporary screws I used. I predrilled them so as to not split the stringers. I removed the screws and will need to fill in the holes with thickened epoxy. The screws were 3/4 inch wood screws I had already. 

Bottom cockpit board is glued down. 


All done with fillets. 

Will need to sand the fillets in some places to smooth them out. 





No comments:

Post a Comment