Sunday, September 25, 2016

More sanding fillets and first interior fiberglassing!

Earlier in the week, I spent a 1.5 hour session sanding the interior fillets. I estimate I have 10 hours of sanding fillets. Not much fun, but necessary. I find that I can easily do 1.5 hours at a time and get in a zone. To protect my ears, I have a headset that I wear. Works good. I need to figure out how to connect some music, since it has a music port.

Today, I started off doing some more sanding and I am still not finished. For a change of pace, I  decided to fiberglass the back Bulkhead 8 to Transom. I made a rough template and cut the piece of fiberglass. I laid it in the boat and trimmed as necessary. I made sure all that the fiberglass was laying flat and then started to mix up some epoxy.

Fiberglass ready to be wetted out.
Well everything started off good, but I found it difficult to wet out the fiberglass. The bottom part was easy, I poured some epoxy and used a roller brush to do the bottom. I started to run into problems as I used a brush and started to use the vertical portions. I managed to get everything down, but I am not very satisfied with the final result. I will see what it looks like tomorrow. 

I may try using the tape method, because one problem I was having is the edges. While brushing epoxy, I would grab a piece of fiberglass on the edge and pull it. 


Fibersglass wetted out. 

I should have taken a picture from the other angle. The transom turned out pretty good. It was the vertical sections on the outside that didn't look very good to me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment