Friday, September 30, 2016

More Fiberglassing aft section And Hints!

I completed fiberglassing the starboard side between the transom and bulkhead 8. On this side I used a little different method ( see hints below ) and took a little more time getting things right before starting to mix the epoxy. I made sure the edges were trimmed. The roll of fiber glass has the edges with about 1/4 inch little pieces. I cut those off to make a smoother edge. I also watched a video on OffCenterHarbor that helped. This is a pay site, but well worth it for first time builders like me. I also posted on PocketShip.net and got some good advice from "bflat".  Thanks Bob!

I also applied 2 more coats of epoxy after work a couple days. I will sand later.

Some hints.
-For vertical surfaces use a brush. This is mentioned in the manual.
- I used a roller on the horizontal surfaces.
-Do more of a dabbing with the brush vs. brushing. The brushing does pull he fiberglass.
-If you do brush, use horizontal strokes on the vertical sides. The horizontal does not pull the fiberglass away from the fillet area.
-to get clean edges, you can use the blue tape method. I choose not too.
-I used small tacks to hold the fiberglass in place. Tape will pull on the threads. Tape wood work good on the blue tape method.
-wet the surface a little on the fiberglass to hold in place.
- if you put too much epoxy on, us a rag to soak up some. This should have been common sense to me! :-)

As with everything you do for the first time is a learning curve. I am doing the sections that will be covered up so no one will see, but I still want it done right.

I am away for a mini weekend trip, so I will post some pics when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment