Monday, September 5, 2016

Tools to Fight the Misery of Sanding Fillets!

Well, I think I have the tools now to fight the fillets. They really are not as bad as I thought, but as the manual states, you will still need to smooth things outs. I picked up a Dremel 3000 from Home Depot and a sander from Harbor Freight.

Sander from Harbor Freight

Dremel 3000

I used the Dremel tool today on the bow section and it worked great to get the rough spots as well as the hard to reach places. I liked the ability to use the variable speeds, but you need to be careful. It will remove epoxy quickly! It came with a lot of attachments that I can see that will be beneficial on building the boat.

Bow section ready to fiberglass. I used all of my sanding tools to get it ready.
Orbital Sander,  Dremel, Harbor Freight, and homemade tools. 
I also made some homemade sanding tools out of some pipe insulation. It is flexible and I use the rolled sanding paper that sticks to it. It has the same round shape as the fillets and it can conform too the different shapes.

pipe insulation to use as sanding tool

Also good to cut in half

Box of different sanding tools and shapes to sand all the different boat shapes.
The piece that has a handle is a sponge brush that I put a piece of sanding paper on. 


No comments:

Post a Comment