Monday, January 23, 2017

Battery Platform and Cable Conduit

I have been thinking about the electrical system that I wanted to install on PocketShip. It is not going to be that fancy. I just want running lights and some outlets for USB. I may change my mind later, but I will be able to add whatever I need.

Before I start to paint, I wanted to build and install a few things. One was a battery platform and the other was a conduit to help protect the electrical cables in the locker area. I will have to say that I copied William's design from Florida. http://pocketship.blogspot.com/. Thank you William!  I like what he did on his particular build.

I purchased a plastic battery box from West Marine. It holds both Type 24 and the larger 27 batteries. I am still reading up on all of the electrical stuff. To sit the battery box on in the locker area, you need a platform. I used some scrap pieces of lumber I had an built the platform.  You will need to cut compound angles, but that was not that difficult using sliding t-bevel.

Battery Platform 

Multiple Angles needed. 

I have the top piece of plywood screwed down temporarily so I can epoxy the whole section in place.
I will remove the plywood when the epoxy cures and put some fillets on both sides of the supports. I also need to cut the platform and glue some pieces of wood to hold the box from moving around. I will post those later.

Below is a picture of the battery platform being epoxied (thickened epoxy with cabosil). I used some free weights I have to put some pressure to hold it in place.


The next piece is a cable conduit to hide and protect the cables coming from the battery to the panel that I will be making and also for the cables that will support the various lights. I used some scrap plywood and cleats. Again I have the plywood screwed in place and will probably keep the bronze screws to be able to remove the piece for maintenance. 

Cable conduit before epoxying. 

Cable conduit glued in place. 

I am using work lights to help the epoxy cure as you can see in both the pictures.  I moved the lights to be more inside the hull and have a blue tarp covering them to help keep the heat in. 


Below is the gluing of the side pieces to help support the bow deck when I glue that down. 
The instructions say to use 3/8 x 1 inch material, so you don't warp the shape of the side panels. 
I found that some old scrap plywood was just about 3/8ths inch and use it. I had to bevel the top edge to make a flat surface to epoxy to. These pieces are really not for support, but to only provide something to epoxy to. 

Strips glued in place to hold bow deck. 

I spent most of the week working on these small pieces. I did manage to do some more sanding and still have that to complete before I can paint the interior.




2 comments:

  1. This blog is awesome !! I have got very good information about Battery Platform and Cable Conduit .

    electrical cable conduit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like the blog. I will have to admit I think I got the idea from William’s PocketShip. Shudoman on the forum. I have been buying some of the electrical components, so I will be starting on the electrical system soon. Working on finishing the mast now. Are you building one?
    Thanks Ron
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete