Sunday, January 29, 2017

Battery Platform and Sanding

This past week was pretty busy at work, so I was only able to work on the boat a couple hours.  After the initial epoxy dried on the battery platform, I took some thickened epoxy and put some fillets on both sides of the supports. This will give them some needed support with a heavy battery moving around while sailing. The battery box does have a tie down strap and I will be cutting out an area on the platform, so it will fit properly.

I also put a coat of epoxy on both the battery platform supports and the cleats for the wire conduit. I will put another coat on them before sanding, priming and painting.


Battery Platform with fillets for support and a coat of epoxy.  
I kept the lights on the epoxy for at least 24 hours to allow it to cure some. I will wait a few days until I start to sand, so they can fully cure. 


Another view of fillets. 


 Below for the battery box platform and the conduit plywood, I put a coat of epoxy on them for water proofing. I plan on applying another coat and then multiple coats on the other sides. For the battery platform, I am going to apply fiberglass on the underside to provide some extra support. I have some scraps I saved that will fit fine. 



Today I was able to spend a lot of time working on the boat. I decided to sand and sand and sand some more. I think I spent about 4 hours sanding. I am tired now and sat in the hot tub and drank a beer when I was done. I will definitely be going to bed early tonight! With all that sanding I am getting very close to being done and ready to paint. I vacuumed everything and plan on going back over everything  and doing some final sanding this week. Hopefully work will not be so busy this week, so I will have the time in the evening.

As you can see below, I went through a lot of sand paper! The sand paper doesn't last that long and I change it very frequently. You will definitely need to stock up.


Below are some pictures of everything sanded and vacuumed. Like I said, I will go over everything again and get the spots that need some final touch up.  This shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. I will then be ready to start priming!! Yea!!!!!!!! I am definitely ready to move. 




No comments:

Post a Comment