Sunday, August 21, 2016

More Fillets!

I continued to do more fillets this morning for a few hours. To make it a little easier, I decided to clamp a  board to the floor supports, so I can climb into the boat to work on things. This worked out pretty good and was definitely easier on my back. I also had purchased a step ladder to make climbing in and out easier. 

Below is a picture of the board and ladder. I clamped the board on both ends, so it would not flip up on me if I stepped in the wrong place. I also put an extra box of rags inside the boat as well as the fillet tools, so I would not have to climb out if I forgot one. These box of rags come in real handy to wipe off fillet tools and putty knifes. I use them all the time for many different things. 




Below is the finished product, I was able to get the port side of the boat completed up to bulkhead #2 on the floor supports. Still have the chines to do on both sides. I will work on the the starboard side of the boat early next week and then I will probably need a full session to do the bow.  I easily see 3 more sessions of fillets. 







Helpful hint: 
To help not getting epoxy all over the place, I am mixing it at my workstation and then putting it in pastry bags.  A shout out to Jeff Perkins "Old Soul" PocketShip for the helpful hint of using plastic wire ties to hold the twists on the pastry bags from coming undone. As long as you have the mixture firm enough and use a plastic wire ties,  you won't get epoxy all over the place. I used the box below with newspaper to sit it on while I climbed in the boat. A sort of "Epoxy Serving Tray" :-). 


No comments:

Post a Comment