Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Last of the fillets in the bottom hull area or is it?

Well I finally finished the fillets in the bottom part of the hull! I looked back at my posts and it took 8 sessions. So with an average of 3 hrs per session, it took me about 24 hours of filleting. I have one bag left out of a box of 50, so that was 49 batches of thickened epoxy. I have my new detailed sander coming tomorrow, so I will start sanding later in the week after they cure. I may have to do some more fillets depending on how they turned out. I did an average job. It will be ok, but I am planning on a fair amount of sanding. I also found a dremel type air tool I bought in a kit a few years ago. It has all types of attachments and will come in handy with some of the trouble spots. I will let you know how they both perform.

I will say a hint to doing fillets is the temperature. I would say the average temperature in the garage has been in the low 80's. This means the fillets will harden very quickly. One trick to smooth them out is using denatured alcohol,  but I found the fillets were hardening at 30-45 minutes and I am using slow hardener. By the time I laid 1st fillets out and used the tool, mixed another batch and laid the 2nd batch, the 1st batch was about hard.  I think I would have done a better job if the temperatures were lower, but it is what it is. I was not going to put building on hold during the summer. I think temperature is just something you have to deal with warm and cold! If you can coordinate doing the fillets in cooler temperatures, I would recommend it.

Port side chine next to bulkhead #3. 

Transom Fillet. I put more epoxy on to make it bigger. 

Starboard side chine next to bulkhead #3

Chine area in between #2 (left) and #3 (right). I again wanted to make the fillet larger.

I started this post last night, so I have had a chance to look at the boat today. I was mainly looking at the size of some of the fillets. I think I will be enlarging a few of them. The manual says at least 1", so a couple of them are borderline. Better to take the time now than to have issues later. I also always tend to over engineer things when I build! 

No comments:

Post a Comment