Saturday, August 13, 2016

Tack Welds all done!


We are still fighting the heat in Virginia, so I got up early this morning before the heat got really bad. I worked for about 5 hours in the garage and finished all the tack welds. Glad that is over. Reaching over into the boat is not an enjoyable task!

I premixed the cabosil and wood floor before starting on the fillet mix with the 90/10 mixture and began mixing up the first of 8 different mixes. I use red cups to mix, since they are cheap. I use the mark on the cup to fill up with thickened epoxy. I will then mix in about the same amount of the 90/10 mixture. I will add a spoon full or so to get it thick enough so it won't fall off the mixing stick. So using these marks, takes some of the guess work out and makes it a little more of a recipe.


I will then pour the mixture into a pastry bag. I watched a OffCenterHarbor video and the trick is to twist the bag. I was just trying to roll it up and that didn't make it tight enough.  The twisting does the trick. 

Even with the tack welds, I tried to use a fillet tool to smooth it out and make sure the epoxy mixture was making good contact with all edges. I used a variety of tools including a putty knife. Some of the tools are pictured below. I didn't start to use the one on the right until the last batch. I think I like it a lot. It allowed for a lot of different angles. I think I will be making more of them.

Fillet Tools.



Below are some pictures of the finished tack welds. I will definitely have to put some wider fillets to cover up the sloppy tack welds, but without trying to work around cables will be much easier. 











4 comments:

  1. Ron,
    Great blog. Fun following your progress.
    For my pastry bags, I twist the empty end the use a cheap zip tie (tie wrap) right up against the epoxy mix then cut the opening to the needed size. The zip tie makes life very easy. I bought a cheap bag of 50 for this operation.
    Anyway, keep going and looking great!
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. Doing the blog helps me think things through. I will give the ties a try. The twisting definitely works better and the tie would help to keep it twisted. Are you present building a PocketShip?

      Delete
  2. I'm just about finished with "Old Soul", my Pocketship. It has been a learning experience and mostly very fun. Looking for the next build, maybe a John Welsford Houdini.
    Anyway here is my picture build blog you may have visited:

    http://sailboatbuild.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2016-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2017-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=1

    Keep at it you're doing a great job...
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have looked at your pictures. I am jealous of your work garage!!! Your boat is looking great!!!! I came very close to building John's Pathfinder, but liked the little cabin. Be sure to post when you launch!!

      Thanks
      Ron

      Delete