Saturday, May 28, 2016

1/2 Round-over on Keel Assembly done!

I used a router today to cut a 1/2 round-over on the bottom of the keel and on the inside edges of the centerboard trunk that will be inside the cabin. I borrowed a router from my dad to use and this was the first time I have used one.  I used a scrap 2x4 to practice on, before cutting into the keel assembly. The router was pretty straight forward. I had to play with it to get the right height. Not too high, not taking off too much. I was a little concerned with the doing the edge on the bottom where the centerboard comes out. There is not a lot of wood on either side and the rolling bearing that prevents you from cutting too deep was barely touching enough wood. The setup and practice took a hour or so. The cutting on the final too about 10-15 minutes. I then sanded the edges and the holes I filled up yesterday with epoxy. Below are couple of pictures of the inside edges.

I still need to fill some of the holes with more epoxy. I tried to use a syringe I purchased to fill the nail holes I drilled earlier, but the epoxy was too runny and didn't fill all the way. I think I will just fill like I normally do with a scrapper and force thicker epoxy down the hole. Besides that, I think I am ready to start pouring lead. That will have to wait until I get back from vacation.



Inside edges with 1/2 round-over

No comments:

Post a Comment