Sunday, May 8, 2016

Keel Blocking too short and Centerboard Trunk all glued up!

I have a created a new opportunity.  I was cutting the long tapered blocking piece on the keel last night and it looks like it is too short. I am using the wood timber provided by CLC. I also read another blog where they had the same issue using the pattern provided but CLC.  The pattern is actually long enough, but the piece of timber provided was about 1/2 to 1" too short. Now the question of what to do? Talking with CLC, they suggested filling it up with thickened epoxy or cutting a wedge and gluing that in. I decided to go with cutting a single piece of wood. I plan on gluing that hopefully later today.

Keel blocking too short. 

Modified rear piece out of some scrap.



Single piece of wood to fill gap.


I also finished gluing the Centerboard Trunks. As the manual states and other blogs, I have a BOX, but it won't float! :-)

I also filled the centerboard holes with epoxy for the centerboard to pivot on. They were only covered with fiberglass after I did that step. They should be filled in and later drilled out. I was a also a little worried about getting epoxy all over the place, but I was able clean it up pretty good with a stick and rag with acetone. It is hard to get the squeeze out on the outside, because the clamps are all in the way. I will just have to sand off any extra after the fact.

Centerboard Trunk all Glued up!

Nose Block glued to 1 side of keel. 


No comments:

Post a Comment