Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Nose block Cut!

I was able the make the nose block cut yesterday after work. It took a little thinking, since my band saw is only a 10" saw.  I followed the manual and temporarily connected the keels to the nose block. I used some smaller fine tooth sheet rock screws I had. The manual really didn't say how to do it, but to just connect it.

marking cuts



The manual suggests attaching a piece of scrap plywood which I did and did the first cut on the saw on the bottom/ straight part of the keel. That worked good. Doing the top was a different story. It as not able to do the size of the saw. I ended up flipping the nose block and cutting it in reverse. Only problem with that was the scrap piece was not there to stabilize during the cut. I then cut another scrap piece and screwed it to the part of the nose block that I was going to cut off. Took a little thinking, but everything ended well.

Reverse cutting. 


Below is after the final cut. You can see the other temporary pieces of wood I added to stabilize the piece while I cut it. 



Next step is to cut the keel blocking and start gluing everything together! 

No comments:

Post a Comment