Sunday, May 1, 2016

Productive Weekend with Center Board Trunk and Keel Parts!


I was very busy this weekend and got a lot of things done and organized. Friday night after work, I made an epoxy station to store the 5 gallon containers of MAS Epoxy. I had been storing them in the house, but now it is staying above 60 degrees in the garage, so I should be ok.

New Epoxy Station

I have been using a cart I got from HomeDepot. It works pretty good, since it has wheels and I can move it around to make room depending on what I am doing. I am finding that a big issue with the build is the logistics of everything. Having things on wheels makes it a little easy to shuffle things around depending on what I am doing.

Epoxy Cart from Home Depot


 Friday I also finished putting the bandsaw together and made a few practice cuts. Since the bandsaw is new to me, I watched a couple of videos on youtube about setting it up. I think I did a good job, because it seems to cut straight. I think I am going to really like this tool with the build!


New Craftsman 10" Bandsaw


Saturday I had an event to do with the wife and didn't have but so much time in the morning to do anything. I finished sanding the nose block, so I am ready to glue it to the keel piece next week. I will probably do that one day after work.

Nose block finished! 


I also put one coat of unthickened epoxy on the keel parts. One of the keel parts was a little warped. Not sure how this happened, since I have been very careful with storing the parts laying flat. I used a new heat gun I purchased for the project and ran it across the wood. I then clamped it to a portable bench and puts some weights on it overnight. It looked like it fixed the problem for the most part.  I think I will be good.

Keel parts with one coat.

keel part a little warped. 

Today I sanded the 2 sides of the centerboard trunk and then used the bandsaw to cut out the blocking. I did a dry fitting and then mixed up some thickened epoxy with cabosil. I need to figure out how much to mix for board on board gluing, since I seem to be wasting a little.  I also think I am putting a little too much on the parts, because I seem to have some squeeze out. I wouldn't say it is a lot, but something I am not sure off. All of it is a learning curve since I have never done any of this. The next parts I glue, I plan on mixing smaller amounts.




Next week, I will glue the other side of the centerboard trunk and work on the nose block.

No comments:

Post a Comment